Miles has a long-held belief in the need to follow a sustainable development path within all aspects of our economy and society. The early part of his career focused on sustainability education in the real estate sector before becoming a partner in a real estate consultancy where he focused on enabling people to identify and pursue responsibly sustainable routes for their businesses. His approach is one of informing, enabling and leading strategic and operational change in which he has a proven track-record within the sustainability sector.
Miles combines his role as an advisor with a range of industry group and educational roles. He has originated and led a number of thought leadership teams and has been able to draw upon a very large network of fellow industry leaders to enable collaborative solutions to novel problems affecting organisations in the public and private sectors and the public policy arena. Miles is much in demand as a public speaker and as a trainer. He was conferred as Professor in Sustainable Real Estate at Oxford Brookes University in June 2015, and is a Chartered Environmentalist and a Chartered Surveyor.
Miles was formerly Head of Responsible Property Investment at Deloitte Real Estate and prior to held roles as Head of Sustainability at GVA and as a Partner at King Sturge. He was a Senior Lecturer at Oxford Brooks University before joining private practice.
Current industry appointments
- Chair of the Green Property Alliance
- UK Green Building Council Ambassador
- Senior Advocate Member, Real Estate Balance
- Chair of the Non-Domestic Private Rented Sector Minimum Building Energy Performance Standards Working Group advising Department for Energy & Climate Change.
- Chair World Green Building Council “Health, wellbeing and productivity in offices” Steering Group
- Chair of Investment Property Forum’s Sustainability Interest Group
- Green Construction Board (Valuation & Demand Working Group) member
- British Council for Offices Environmental Sustainability Group.
- Association of Real Estate Funds Environment, Sustainability & Governance Committee
- Editorial Board of the International Journal of Urban Sustainable Development.
- Editorial Board of the Journal of Property Investment & Finance
Former industry appointments
- Green Building Council Policy Committee
- Director and Operational Board member of the Investment Property Forum
- RICS Spatial Planning & Infrastructure Delivery Research Working Group
- Chair of the Green Deal Commercial Property Group advising Department for Energy & Climate Change
- Green 500 Better Buildings Partnership Managing Agents Working Group
- Confederation of British Industry London Climate Change Panel
- World Green Building Council “Business Case for Green Building” Research Steering Group
- Investment Property Forum Research Steering Group: Demand for green offices.
- RICS Planning & Development International Professional Group Board
- Building Research Establishment BREEAM In-Use Advisory Group
- RICS Education Trust Golden Jubilee Research Project steering group: “Climate change – a global problem: how can the surveying profession help?”
- Estates Gazette Green Awards judging panel