BBP Real Estate ESG Training
Originally launched as two separate ‘Pathways’, one for participants from Asset Owner & Manager Organisations, and the other for those from Advisory or Consultancy firms, this programme has undergone exciting redevelopment and now accommodates participants from both types of organisations together in the spirit of radical collaboration which BBP members have been advocating. By consolidating the pathways we aim to take the key peer-to-peer learning aspect of this programme to the next level, and truly leverage the different experiences and perspectives each participant has to offer, through discussions and tailored group exercises.
The core programme has been re-designed especially for real estate professionals working within an asset management context, including those working for fund management and investment advisory institutions, Real Estate Investment Trusts and private property companies; as well as advisory professionals in capital markets, investment advisory, valuation, leasing and transactions-based roles. It is open and applicable to those in the following roles:
- Fund managers
- Portfolio and asset managers
- Investment/ transaction managers
- Development managers
- Investor Relations specialists
- Product development and distribution specialists, especially those looking to incorporate ESG characteristics into new or existing funds
- Real estate finance professionals and analysts
- Equity raising
- Debt sourcing and structuring
- Investment brokerage / consultancy
- Agency (i.e. buying, selling and leasing assets and portfolios)
- Capital markets research
Please note that the course has been developed to fulfil a particular industry skills development need and is intended for the audience set out above. The BBP and Hillbreak reserve the right to reject booking requests from individuals or organisations that do not fall into eligible role categories, including, for example, those in ESG and sustainability consultancy roles.
On completion of the course, participants will:
- Have deeper knowledge and understanding of the key ESG factors pertinent to commercial RE investment.
- Have greater awareness of salient market and regulatory trends and the implications of these for different stakeholders
- Be able to identify the ESG factors that are material to a range of property types and strategies and understand the interconnectedness of these factors
- Be able to identify and assess ESG-related risks and opportunities in the short and longer-term and understand the impact these have on property value and valuation
- Know what needs to be done to address ESG risks and opportunities across the investment lifecycle, including with respect to direct and indirect investment, lending and development
- Have an appreciation for the impacts of ESG on leasing as well as occupier considerations
- Be confident in driving forward practical interventions to address the ESG attributes of AUM
- Understand that ESG should be integrated into a range of different roles and responsibilities
- Know how to measure, set targets for, track and report on ESG factors, including in relation to risk profile, environmental performance and social impact.
- Understand the scope and limitations of the principal ESG measurement, benchmarking and certification frameworks, and the role these can play in improving transparency.
The online course will be split into two half-day core modules, whereas any in-person training will be delivered over the course of one full day with a 2-hour preparatory session to be delivered online before the training day. For ease, the course outline is summarised in the online format below. The core modules’ principal elements of content will cover the following:
Module One (Context & Strategic Considerations)
- ESG drivers and market trends: understanding how investment and operating contexts are changing in response to environmental and societal imperatives.
- New risks and opportunities: defining key ESG topics, such as Net Zero and social impact, and their application to different property types and asset strategies.
- Financial and non-financial returns: unpacking the relationship between ESG, property value and investment performance.
- Measurement and transparency: certification, benchmarking and reporting frameworks applicable at the asset, portfolio and corporate level.
Module Two (Practical Implementation)
- Prioritising ESG interventions throughout the property investment lifecycle, including integration into asset business plans and the growing role of sustainable finance.
- Ways of engaging with other stakeholders, such as occupiers and operating partners, to secure the delivery of ESG interventions and outcomes.
- Establishing roles and responsibilities, ensuring accountability and incentivising action across the value chain.
- Market leadership: examples of best practice and innovation from around the sector.
The core programme features a small amount of pre-course learning in addition to the live teaching sessions, as well as assessments to be taken afterwards.
Participants enrolled in online groups embark upon the core programme and are enrolled onto the newly reconfigured Hillbreak Learning Hub where they will find all materials they need to undertake the pre-course learning ahead of their live teaching modules. All resources needed for the live teaching sessions will be available on the Learning Hub, as well assessments, feedback surveys and post-course resources.
The live teaching modules for the core programme last 4 hours each and take place approximately 3-4 weeks from each other.
Participants joining in-person groups will attend an online 2-hour introductory session before attending their full day of face-to-face training 1-2 weeks later, where content from both modules 1 and 2 will be delivered on the same day. Course materials will be available and participant progress also tracked on the online Learning Hub.
For the core programme live teaching, participants will join fellow professionals from peer organisations in groups of around 20.
The majority of participants that have completed the course so far have been based in the UK and Europe, but we have also enjoyed contributions from a significant number of participants from the United States and Asia-Pacific.
- Participants from BBP Member organisations: £500 + VAT per participant
- Participants from organisations that are not members of the BBP: £750 + VAT per participant.
- Participants from BBP Member organisations: £750 + VAT per participant
- Participants from organisations that are not members of the BBP: £1000 + VAT per participant.
Expressions of Interest & Queries
If you wish to submit an Expression of Interest for the course without proceeding directly to registration, please complete the form below. You will be added to our database of interested parties to whom announcements on future course dates and registration openings will be confirmed ahead of the wider market.
If you have any queries regarding the training, please contact us at BBPcourse@hillbreak.com and we’ll respond as soon as we can.
Some booking terms
Full terms and conditions of registration are provided at the point of booking, but please note that it is not possible to swap between groups once the course has started unless exceptional circumstances are applicable.
If you wish to cancel your place on the course you may do so by providing us with notice by email to BBPcourse@hillbreak.com or telephone to 0333 5050 606 at any time up until 30 days prior to the date of your first course module and the BBP will provide a full refund of the course fees paid or (if you so request) use all reasonable efforts to transfer your booking to an alternative course date in the future.
If you wish to cancel or withdraw from the course at any time after 30 days prior to the date of your first course module, you shall not be entitled to any refund of course fees paid and /or will still be liable for any outstanding fees to be paid. However, if you provide us with notice 10 working days or more prior to the date of your first course module, we will use all reasonable efforts to transfer your booking to an alternative course date in the future.