An interactive one-day course for sustainability managers and responsible investment professionals
Following the continued success of our Real Estate Fundamentals course, Hillbreak is pleased to invite in-house ESG/RI professionals to join a select group of peers from the commercial property and investment management sectors for the fifth edition of our one-day training course on the fundamentals of real estate investment, ownership and development.
It is now increasingly common for property companies, real estate trusts and fund managers to employ sustainability professionals to lead, manage and support their responsible investment and CSR activities. Very often, these professionals are expert in environmental and/or socio-economic matters but have limited experience in, or knowledge of, key commercial property disciplines.
By assisting ESG, responsible investment and sustainability professionals working within a property context to better understand the fundamentals of real estate and related surveying disciplines, our aim is to enhance their ability to:
- engage with their colleagues and stakeholders in the furtherance of positive ESG outcomes; and
- enhance their contribution to the strategic, operational and financial goals of their employer organisations and their respective investor clients.
Organisations represented on previous sessions of this course – which has attracted fantastic reviews – have included LandSec, Grosvenor, Legal & General, Hermes, Argent, M&G Real Estate, The Crown Estate, Aberdeen Standard Investments, Nuveen, BMO Real Estate Partners, Workspace Group and more.
Participants can be expected to develop:
- A stronger appreciation of the commercial property market, including present and future challenges.
- A better understanding of core property investment and development processes.
- A working knowledge of valuations and appraisal methods for property investment and development schemes and how sustainability factors interact with these.
- Deeper insights about the work undertaken by different professionals within the sector, including the notable standards by which they are governed (e.g. valuers, investment managers).
- Familiarity with, and understanding of, property jargon.
- The knowledge with which to connect ESG objectives and principles to ‘traditional’ commercial property drivers.
The unique course, specifically tailored for real estate sustainability and ESG professionals, will be run in a virtual format given the ongoing COVID restrictions. It will include a combination of classroom-style teaching, Q&A, individual and group exercises and facilitated discussions. In this way, it is hoped that all participants will learn by having the opportunity to steer content whilst interacting with each other and the facilitator.
- Welcome, introductions and ice-breakers
- Current state of the property market and its challenges
- Following the money: the property investment process –who does what for whom and why?
- Obligations and rights of landlords and occupiers
- Property value, valuations and the role of the valuer
- Investment appraisals
- Changing skylines: the property development process – who does what for whom and why?
- Development appraisals [including impact of sustainability/ESG factors]
- Wrap-up and review
The course will be led by Miles Keeping, co-founder of Hillbreak and a Visiting Professor of Sustainable Real Estate at Oxford Brookes University. He is an eminent thought-leader and advisor, and an APC Assessor for the RICS. He was a senior lecturer at Oxford Brookes University prior to joining private practice. He is Chairman of the Green Property Alliance.