An interactive one-day course for sustainability managers and responsible investment professionals
It is now increasingly common for property companies, real estate trusts and fund managers to employ sustainability professionals to lead, manage and support their responsible investment and ESG activities. Very often, these professionals are expert in environmental and/or socio-economic matters but have limited experience in, or knowledge of, key commercial property disciplines.
By assisting sustainability and responsible investment professionals working within a property context to better understand the fundamentals of real estate markets and related surveying disciplines, our aim with this highly-interactive and intensive one-day course is to enhance their ability to engage with their colleagues and stakeholders in the furtherance of positive ESG outcomes; and enhance their contribution to the strategic, operational and financial goals of their employer organisations and their respective investor clients.
Participants can expect to develop:
- A stronger appreciation of the commercial property market, including present and future challenges.
- A better understanding of core property investment and development processes.
- A working knowledge of valuations and appraisal methods for property investment and development schemes and how sustainability factors interact with these
- Deeper insights about the work undertaken by different professionals within the sector, including the notable standards by which they are governed (e.g. valuers, investment managers).
- Familiarity with, and understanding of, property jargon.
- The knowledge with which to connect ESG objectives and principles to ‘traditional’ commercial property drivers.
The unique course, specifically tailored for real estate sustainability professionals, will be run in a roundtable format with a combination of classroom-style teaching, Q&A, individual and group exercises and facilitated discussions. In this way, it is hoped that all participants will learn by having the opportunity to steer content whilst interacting with each other and the facilitators.
The course includes the following elements:
- Welcome, introductions and ice-breakers
- Examining the state of the property market and consider its current and future challenges
- Understanding property investment processes and who the participants are
- Identifying the key obligations and rights of landlords and occupiers
- Understanding property valuation processes and impacts on value
- Exploring key real estate development actors’ roles and motivations
- Wrap-up and review
- Course length: one day
- Capacity: capped at 12 participants
- Eligibility: exclusive to sustainability professionals
- Reference materials: provided
- Post-course support: all participants to be enrolled on our Hillbreak Learning Hub with access to course materials and instructor expertise
- Refreshments: provided (including lunch)
- £500 excl.VAT per person