An interactive one-day course for sustainability managers and responsible investment professionals
It is now increasingly common for property companies, real estate trusts and fund managers to employ sustainability professionals to lead, manage and support their responsible investment and ESG activities. Very often, these professionals are expert in environmental and/or socio-economic matters but have limited experience in, or knowledge of, key commercial property disciplines.
By assisting sustainability and responsible investment professionals working within a property context to better understand the fundamentals of real estate markets and related surveying disciplines, our aim with this highly-interactive and intensive one-day course is to enhance their ability to engage with their colleagues and stakeholders in the furtherance of positive ESG outcomes; and enhance their contribution to the strategic, operational and financial goals of their employer organisations and their respective investor clients.
Participants can expect to develop:
- A stronger appreciation of the commercial property market, including present and future challenges.
- A better understanding of core property investment and development processes.
- A working knowledge of valuations and appraisal methods for property investment and development schemes and how sustainability factors interact with these
- Deeper insights about the work undertaken by different professionals within the sector, including the notable standards by which they are governed (e.g. valuers, investment managers).
- Familiarity with, and understanding of, property jargon.
- The knowledge with which to connect ESG objectives and principles to ‘traditional’ commercial property drivers.
The unique course, specifically tailored for real estate sustainability and ESG professionals, will be run in a roundtable format with a combination of classroom-style teaching, Q&A, individual and group exercises and facilitated discussions. In this way, it is hoped that all participants will learn by having the opportunity to steer content whilst interacting with each other and the facilitators.
- Welcome, introductions and ice-breakers
- Examining the state and function of the property market and considering its current and future challenges, and salient market trends
- Following the money: the property investment processes, who the market participants are, their roles and objectives, and how that shapes their strategy and approach
- Understanding property valuation processes, and how they interface with sustainability factors
- Identifying the key obligations and rights of landlords and occupiers, and how they impact sustainability risks and opportunities
- Changing skylines: the property development process, including the scope of development, who does what for whom and why, how development appraisals are undertaken, and the impact of sustainability factors
- Considering the language used by real estate market participants and what this can mean
- Course length: one day
- Capacity: capped at 15 participants
- Eligibility: exclusive to ESG and sustainability professionals working in real estate
- Learning Materials: All course resources provided via the online Hillbreak Learning Hub as well as access to post-course support from our instructors
- Refreshments: provided (including lunch)
- £600 excl.VAT per person